Monday, July 23, 2007

Freiburg

Over the past weekend I went to Freiburg to visit a friend. Remember when I went to Lake Constance with friends, and went sailing? Well, the other girls in my boat were all med students at The Universty of Freiburg. So I stayed in touch with one of them and went to visit for the weekend. I arrived at 3 on Saturday, and we took a nice walk all over Freiburg, and I got to see so much. The town is really cute, and some of the residential areas totally remind me of home and the Bay Area... They have tree lined streets with old buildings, it was very reminiscent of Berkeley for me. The vibe of the town in general was really great too. Because so many students go there, it is very laid back, and there were a ton of people my age (something i really don't see here in Ludwgisburg) Anyhow, we met the other girls from sailing for dinner, and got to enjoy part of the street festival while we were at it. Then we went for drinks with a couple of other friends.The next day we took a little hike up one of the hills/mountains that surround the city. There is a tower at the very top to remember the castle that used to be there. There have been so many wars that affected the city, that eventually after one of them it wasn't rebuilt again. We walked to a park after that and enjoyed the great sun that was missing the previous day. I had a little sunburn, which has luckily turned into a tan today, yay! In the afternoon we went on a historic tour led by a guy in costume, and the topic of this particular one was old rulers of the city, and famous people who had been there. It was pretty interesting and I understood enough (well with the help of a little recap from Julia after the stories)

Then it was pretty much time to go after a bite to eat. It was a great visit and I am so lucky to have made a friend and been able to visit! It's in the Black Forest and only 1 hour north of Switzerland and 30min east of France. After doing so much Europeam travel this year, it's finally down to the wire and I have to see the other parts of Baden-Wuerttemberg that I have been missing!

picts at: http://ucdavis.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2166916&l=f67c4&id=3206990

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home