Sunday, October 15, 2006

just when i was getting used to it...

Part 1: This weekend I went on a day trip with the Rotaract Club of Ludwigburg. There was a two district conference in a town that was about an hour away, Aalen, and I just joined them for the fun things on Sturday. We went to a museum, about the Limes wall, the old border between the Roman Emprire and the German Empire, and we went to some indoor swimming pools. They were so nice, very warm with lots of jets. I met a lot more people, and am feeling very motivated to speak more German because I don´t like being the odd man out.

Part 2: At play group last week I was talking to a woman about how moderm and industrial Stuttgart is. I also got to thinking about how I am living in such a suburban area. There are houses, and lots of agriculture around. Also, Ludwigsburg is very modern looking. There is the castle which is old, but for the most part, it is not your classic German town. So, from all this I was just starting to think how it actually isn´t that different from being back home, or how maybe I´m just taking my surroundings for granted.

So putting those two pieces together... last night when I was getting a ride home from Aalen I happened to look out out the window, and I saw this castle. It was all lit up from the outside so it just stuck out in the dark night. It was so beautiful, and all I coule think was, 'wow I really am in Germany'. Nowhere in the States would you just look out of your car and see a castle staring back at you. It was very special and just what I needed to get back into appreciating where I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home