Monday, March 12, 2007

Málaga

YAY!!! another vacation! My host family has taken the week off for a ski holiday in Austria, and while I was grateful for the offer to join them, I decided to take a holiday of my own. I booked my flights before Christmas, so this has been a long time coming. I have friends here that I wanted to see, and it's even better because the south of Spain is having wonderful weather at the moment.

Yesterday I got up at the crack of dawn in Germany, so I could catch the 5,30 S-Bahn from Stuttgart to the airport and make my 7,15 flight. Begin a very long day. But, the flight was fine, and i caught the bus directly into Málaga and found my hostel. I headed out right away to make use of my one day here to see museums and such. A lot of that stuff is closed on Mondays. So I went to the new Picasso Museum, which had some interesting works (155 donated from his daughter-in-law and grandson). But just as amazing was the building that it was in. Such details in the ceilings tiles with influences left over from the Moorish rule of southern Spain. I then did some more walking around and made it to this contemporary art museum, which was free and really great. In fact the temporary exhibit they had was by an artist who just recently had an exhibit in Nurnberg in Germany. I had read about it in a magazine and wanted to go, but never made it, and now i still got to see some of her work... crazy how small a world it is. After that I sat in a plaza and had some lunch, and walked to the Alcazaba, old palace here. It was beautiful and open with a lot of vegetation, and it makes me even more excited to see the Alhambra in Granada. I finally went back to the hostel after all that for a shower and some rest, but went out again for another walk, followed my a movie at the hostel. Finally around 10, I decided to should try to see some of the night life, even if it was by myself on a Sunday night. I really didn't do too much on my own, but i went to a cerveceria (brewery) and had a little beer and calamari. Then back to the hostel, to rest up for my next day.

This morning at breakfast, a girl came to join me at the tabel outside, and ends up she's from Germany, but my german was better than her english, so we talked in German! go figure that it takes me going to another country to practice my German, haha. My impressions of Málaga so far is that it is pretty, and just so different from Germany. It has a ton of palm trees, and narrow street with tall buildings. It is very much a little city on the ground floor, but then there are apartments above all the businesses, which really isn't something i see too much in Germany, though it is no new idea... it is also a different experience to be whistled at and kissing noised at on the street. Yes, this is a Spainish steriotype that exisits, it's just kind of funny that that was what i pictured that made me want to go to Germany, and kind of makes me happy that i am living there. More Málaga to conquere today, the last few sights that are open on Mondays, and then hopefully the beach... when i left Germany it was +9C and upon my arrival in Málaga the temperature read +21C - i love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home