Tuesday, March 13, 2007

the adventure continues

I spent my second day in Malaga, and really that was enoug time to see most of the prettier parts of the old town. I made it into the cathedral, and went into a few stores, but managed to not buy anything, yay me. Then I went into the local market with all the fresh produce and meat stands, which i had walked by on Sunday but it was closed. I picked up some fruit, meat, cheese and rolls to have for lunch on the beach than ran to catch the bus. I had asked for a recommendation for good beach from one of the guys working at the hostel, and he told me about one, that was supposed to have a stop on the bus... but i had been on the bus for a while with no sign of this beach and decided my best bet was to just get off and walk down to the cost, at least i could see the water. I didn't find a beach right away, but i sat on a bench and made my sandwich and had a great view of the water. I wandered around a bit afterwards and found a different beach a little further away than the one i was originally going for. I planted myself on a bit of grass and read my book while enjoying the amazing sun and sounds of tiny waves. The rest of my day was pretty lazy, i made my way back to the hostel and hung out on the roof terrace on a hammock and read a bit. Basically just killed some time before catching the bus to Antequera.

The bus to Antequera left at 8pm from Malaga, so i got there at 9 and met up with Carrie. My friend Darci moved to Washington D.C. at the same time as I came to Germany so we had a little goodbye BBQ a couple of weekends before hand. She had some friends from Uni come one of whom was Carrie, who I am currently staying with. She had plans to come to Spain at that time, so we exchanged info, and when i found out I was going to take this trip I got in touch with her. So last night when I arrived, we went out for some traditional Spanish tapas, which were oh, so tasty and just had some time to catch up and exchange about our experiences so far. Then this morning we had some breakfast, which included me eating traditional churros (deep fried dough) dipped in hot chocolate (but so thick, it really looked like a melted chocolate bar) but hey, i'm on vacation right? :-) We then walked around the town a bit, saw the local out door market and did some shopping before meeting up with her friends for lunch. It's the director of the school she teaches English at and her daughter who is 24, and they made us this amazing Andalucian soup thing for lunch. It is raw tomatoes blended with some garlic, pepper, olive oil, vinegar and bread. It is eaten kind of like soup, and you dip a lot of bread in it as well. There were also artichokes, ham, cheese and chocolate fondue involved, so needless to say we were all happy campers! After lunch, Carrie had to go to work, so I walked around town a bit by myself and went up the hill to the castle area, which has some great views of the city. It has been amazing weather still, and so refreshing to be with a friend and resident of the town. It's super nice to be able to vacation but still kind of feel like there are homes along the way. I am soooo happy to be here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home