Sunday, March 18, 2007

madrid, madrid, madrid

I concluded my trip in Madrid, because my good friend Lindsay is au pairing there as well. This was my second time seeing her here, and it was so great a second time. I got in Friday mid-day, and we just chilled, got some coffee, and headed to a museum. There was this really cool M. C. Escher exhibit that we went to. His work is so amazing and innovative. It is so cool how all his images come together and flow from one thing to the next. After that we just rested at her house, before our big night out. We went out for dinner with some of her friends (all of whom are au pairs as well, and most of whom I had met on my first trip). Anyhow, we had a delicious Spanish dinner and then went to this club. We managed to get in for free, which made it even more worth is. The disco was huge with 7 different rooms each with different types of music. The highlight of this were the dancers, which I only hope I am able to put a video of on here... such a laugh!!

Anyhow, we didn´t get home until 5 am, so that meant a nice bit of sleeping in on Saturday. After we pulled ourselves out of bed we headed into Madrid and went to the Tyssan (sure I am spelling that wrong) Museum, and say some great more contemporary works, and followed that up with shopping on Madrid´s well known shopping street, and lunch with a friend. That night we went to good bye dinner for one of Lindsay´s good friends who is also an au pair. Her family bought this great Spanish paella for us and it was such a nice night. Sunday was my last day, so we tried to get up a little earlier, and we went to this huge market called El Rastro. I think everyone got some good deals, and we all left with out being pick pocketed (which is super common in such a crowed place) And just as Lindsay and I were thinking that afterwards, I felt a felt something touching my bag behind me, and sure enough when I turned around to grab my bag, there were two girls with maps out, attempting to make a steal. I guess it was a little initiation to Madrid for me, but still really creepy. Don´t worry they didn´t get anything. We were on our way to the Prado, hugely famous museum in madrid, and once there, we did the fastest tour ever... really, like, went around and saw the five most famous paintings there, scanning others along the way. While, I appreciate the fact that it is really famous, I must admit it´s not really the kind of art that speaks to me... Given more time and energy, i may have stayed longer, but I´m not that sad about it. Then it was off to hang out with another of Lindsay´s friends before i left and flew back to Germany.

It was such a great trip!!! Way less exhausting than my first vacation, and the highlights, were definitely seeing friends, and getting a view of the Spanish lifestyle from an insiders perspective. I am happy to be back in Germany though, I definitely think this lifestyle is a little more my speed, or maybe it´s just what i´m used to... anyhow, onto the next adventure!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home