Thursday, March 15, 2007

on the road again

Today I am in Cabra. It is a town about an hour and a half away from Cordoba, where my friend Amanda is teaching English. We went to high school and Davis together, so it's going to be great to catch up. So I've just arrived, but yesterday I was in Granada which was amazing.

I arrived in Granada yesterday at about 12. I was supposed to leave Antequera on the train earlier in the morning, but of course the train was delayed and they didn't know when it was actually going to be there. So I headed back to Carrie's for breakfast and got a later bus to Granada instead. I checked into my hostel, and got started right away with a mini city tour. I did a ton of walking and saw some of the well known old town neighborhoods. I had an afternoon ticket for the Alhambra, which is THE thing to see there, so I walked up the huge hill around 2. The Alhambra is the old Islamic castle type building in Granada, which has been amazingly well kept and restored. My first stop was to the Generalife, which are the old palaces gardens. The views are amazing from up there as are the vegetation and buildings. There is so much detail and symmetry involved, that the whole thing is breath taking. I think the pictures will speak better for themselves when I am able to post them. I went to the Alcazaba, which is the old fortress. There wasn't a whole lot to see, but again the views were great, and you got to see a bit of where and how these people lived. Finally I went to the Palace buildings which are the most spectacular of all. The rooms are symmetrical, and have these amazing designs carved into the walls. The ceilings are intricately carved and put together... again all of this will be better explained in photos. That night I was a bit too pooped to experience the Granada night life, which includes free tapas with a drink order, but I was treated to a homemade Thai dinner by the hostel. Oh sooo good, and it was nice to hang out with some other travelers for a bit. I called it a bit of an early night so I could get up this morning and take one last walk through the cute Granada streets before catching the bus to Cabra.

All in all the trip is going really well, and I'm glad I opted for this. I still can't believe that I am in Spain and seeing so much, and I still have a lot of Madrid to discover this weekend. In my times of awe, I just relish in it when I tell myself "This is why I came to Europe to be an au pair!!!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Emily, Spain is a place to live adventures as you said. Maybe, while you are travelling around here, you find useful this blog about andalucia for travellers!. They tell interesting and curious things about a lot of places around andalucia, some very well known places, and other less famous but very interesting.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home