Monday, August 27, 2007

it's over

Wow! it's finally happened. I am no longer an au pair, and I can not believe it. I am in shock/disbelief/denial. I have been looking forward to this for so long, I don't really know what to do with myself now that the time has actually come... I am kind of excited about what's to come (all my travels) but am really sad to leave my friends here and the family. There is definitely a bond built when you spend as much time as I did with a group of people. It was really unexpected for me to be done already, but as it turns out the kids went to their grandma's houses this week, one to each grandma... I don't know if this was just coincidental, or if they were trying to get me out of the house a little earlier, but either way I am happy to have a little extra time to see things. Though, because it was so last minute, it's a little more surprising. I don't really feel ready to go, yet I have to.

I have been encountering things that make it all the more real how long I have been here. I went to a sort of fest in another little town last weekend, which I went to last year also with the family. I remembered the town, and some of the stalls and locations. It was so weird that when i came i didn't know anything, yet here I am more than a year later and feel totally at home. I think this year has been so great for me. I've learned that I can really do ANYTHING I want to - moving to a foreign country, where I don't speak the language or know anyone; learning a new language, making friends, learning to drive a manual car... I've also developed a great ability to be able to laugh at myself; there were so many times this year, where I just had to stop and laugh because there was nothing else to do, whether it was while stalling the car 10 times going uphill with the car or almost getting lost in the dodgy parts of Budapest, just to see the 'biggest flea market in Europe' (hah, that was a little overstated) being able to step out of the situation and have a good chuckle makes it all worth it. I think I've also grown up a bit, and learned about some things that are important to have in my life, and how I want to live my life. I guess the biggest thing I've gotten while here is perspective... on myself, my life, my country. There's nothing like taking you out of your home and all your comforts to make you think a little harder.

So not that any of my friends here in Germany read this blog... but I just want to say thanks for making this such a great year, full of new experiences, surprises, and most importantly a lot of fun!!

And as far as what's on my plate next... I am taking a little road trip with a friend, and then off to visit some more friends before heading off to Greece with my sister. I hung out around the house today to finish things up, laundry, packing etc... but starting tomorrow evening I will begin my real summer vacation - 5 weeks traveling Europe!!!! (though, really, it's not like this whole year hasn't been a vacation :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey em! i'm glad you had such a great year in europe! it was fun keeping up w/ ur blog. you def opened up yourself to some new experiences out there. =) how else can we grow if we never step out of our comfort zones, right? can't wait til you get back! have a good 5 week vacation!!! i'm so envious! =P

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home