Friday, October 27, 2006

holidays, part 2

I've finished up things in Vienna and have moved right along to Budapest... it's amazing how everyone has internet these days! Anyhow, Vienna was great and I really enjoyed it. The first day I got a really early start because I had taken the overnight train and gotten into the city aroung 6am, so by 7:30 I was walking around. I stopped in a traditional Vienese cafe for breakfast, and headed to the Nachmarket afterwards. It is this outdoor market with all fresh produce and home made foods, it was fun to look at everything. I went to the Belvedere Museum after that to see Gustav Klimt's "The Kiss". It was great to see it in person, so much personality with the gold paint and everything. I made my way into the central walking area of the city next and did some sight seeing, I took a tram around the main road ring to have a look at Parlament, and the Rathouse and some other bulidings. After lunch I took a break and went back to the hostel for a nap because I was pretty beat, but the rest was great because I was able to go back into the city to see a little more that evening. I went to another museum to see a Picasso exhibit from his last stage of work, pretty good. That night I met a couple of people in the kitchen while making a salad and we ended up hanging out for the rest of the night and having a drink together.

Day two started at the Leopod Museum, which has some more Klimt's, as well as a good German Expressionist exhibit and a photo exhibit about the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, which was a nice precurser to my next city. After the museum I walked around town some more and went to another cafe for lunch. I wandered through the festival that was going on too. That day was 'Austrian National Holiday' for no other reason than to celebrate Austria, haha... we don't really have one of those back home. I spent the rest of my afternoon in the park and then went back to the hostel for dinner. I made friends with three of my new roommates for that night, three guys studing in Rome, who were there for holiday. So later that night we ended up going back into town, with one of their girl friend's who lives in Vienna. All in all an enjoyable night getting to know yet some more new people.

I'm enjoying all this traveling so far. I love seeing these traditional European towns, and Vienna was great because it's really a big city. I like having the freedom of being a solo traveler, and only having to worry about myself. It's MY vacation and I can do what I like :) yay. The only thing is, that sometimes you just want someone to share it with. To bounce ideas off of, or to be company at a cafe. It's also strange because all these people you meet at hostels, you are more than likely never going to see each other again. So you spend a night, or however long getting to know each other, sharing stories, etc, then when it comes time to leave, it's like, "Well, have a good life". Very strange how the world works, and how connections with people go. So I guess those are my reflections so far, cheers for reading these details. Budapest update to come upon my return home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home