Friday, April 27, 2007

City Mouse vs. Country Mouse

Since the time I got here I have 'complained' about living in the country. But really, in the country: I see tractors all the time, agricultural fields surround my village on all sides, from which I am only a stones throw away. I have always thought I was a city mouse for sure. When I studied abroad in London, I relished in the city lifestyle: the fast pace, the public transport, the arts, the sounds, basically everything. And coming here and being stranded in Poppenweiler really didn't help the transition to things here. But I must say as I was coming home on the bus that night, that it's really not that bad. I still really don't like having to come home so early when I go out, just so I can catch the bus home. At the same time; however, I realized that I rather like coming home to a quiter community. It's not so bad being able to have the best of both worlds. Now that I think about it, that is why I liked living in Berkeley so much. I was able to frequent the city, and still have my life that was a little bit removed. While at the same time, still having restaurants and shops with in walking distance from my house. Though it would be nice to go out for a night on the town and be able to come home to sleep in my own bed. I will definitely still try my hand at city life at somepoint, hopefully London or San Francisco, and I definitely don't want to live in Poppenweiler any longer than I really have to. But it is nice to become content with what you have and realize that maybe I have a little country mouse in me too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home